- Assessment for County Directors on Advancing Race Equity: CHSDA partnered with the American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) in 2021 to create this assessment, in order to assist counties in getting a benchmark on their organization’s current state of race equity work across six focus areas: 1) Organizational Area, 2) Organizational Culture, 3) Learning Environment, 4) Executive Team & Elected Officials, 5) Community Involvement, and 6) Data.
- CHSDA sent the tool out to all counties in January 2022 and APHSA then analyzed initial responses across all county respondents and delivered a summary presentation to CHSDA’s Executive Committee on April 6.
- The full summary of deidentified responses is available here.
- CHSDA Session @ CCI’s Winter Conference (November 2021): Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: Approaches within counties, programs, and CHSDA. Panelists discussed various Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts happening at the county level (Eagle County, Adams County, Denver County), in the Adult and Aging practices, and through a partnership among CHSDA, Casey Family Programs, and the American Public Human Services Association (APHSA). The recording and presentation materials are available on CHSDA’s conference webpage.
- Deconstructing Equity Workshop led by Dr. Nita Mosby-Tyler, The Equity Project, LLC- CHSDA 2020 Fall Conference Session (September 2020): This workshop takes participants on a journey of “deconstructing” the real meaning of equity, inclusivity and diversity. Participants will learn fascinating facts and insights that help us shift from learning and exploring to doing. The keynote is designed to inspire, intrigue and energize us during a complex time in history. We will explore everything from definitions, history, power bases, imposter syndrome and even address “diversity fatigue” – a thing that we all have at some point or another. The recording and presentation materials are available on CHSDA’s conference archive webpage.
- CDPHE Community Engagement Toolkit (March 2022): This toolkit was created for department leaders and includes 3 main sections: 1) Defining Community: A Primer for Integration & Implementation, 2) Budgeting Guidelines for Language Services, and 3) Community Member Compensation Guide. It builds off of CDPHE’s series of resources to operationalize best practices identified in the Community Partnership and Principles Guide (2020).
- The principle of including the voices of communities most affected by inequities is a critical component of the advancement of equity and justice and is included within CDPHE’s Incorporation of Community Principles policy and the Department’s proclamation declaring racism as a public health crisis.
- CDHS Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion training modules are now available to counties on CDHS’ county portal: 1) Why is EDI Important 2) What is EDI 3) What are EDI Strategies and 4) How do I include EDI in my work?
- Child Welfare
- CDHS three-part virtual seminar series led by Kamilah Clayton, MSW, RSW, CBT to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in child welfare on the Child Welfare Training System: Topics across the three sessions include: Building Collaborative Relationships with Black Communities and Black-Serving Organizations; Decentering Whiteness in Work with Black Families; Empowering Black Staff: Creating and Supporting Safety and Wellness for Black Workers (*for supervisors and managers*); Trauma, Race, and Engagement: How Experiencing Trauma Related to Anti-Black Racism Affects the Working Relationship; A Focus on Equity: Culturally Responsive Ways of Working with Black Families
- Other Learning Opportunities on Colorado’s Child Welfare Training System:
- Culturally Humble Casework: Learning From Those You Seek to Help (coming soon)
- Conversations about race and ethnicity disparity and disproportionality in child welfare is included in training for new caseworkers and supervisors.
- Child, Family and Tribe: Bringing ICWA to Life
- Cultural Inclusivity for Caregivers: Understanding Your Role
- One Size Doesn’t Fit All: Understanding, Contextualizing, and Accommodating Disability in Child Welfare
- Recruiting Diverse Foster, Kinship and Adoptive Families
- Courageous Heart Media Circles
- How History of Child Welfare Impacts Current Practice– Colorado Department of Child Welfare Town Hall (April 14, 2022)
- Adult Protective Services (APS)
- APS Technical Assistance Resource Center
- Equity and Older Adults Blog
- Equity and Cultural Humility in APS: Beginning the Conversations Around Staff and Client Experiences: Webinar (May 5, 2022): APS Equity & Cultural Humility Resource Handout; Presentation Slides; Ohio Implicit Bias- Inclusive Communication Course Companion
- Video on asking inclusive demographic questions in APS
Other State/National Resources
- APHSA Advancing EDI: A Toolkit for Leaders
- APHSA Allyship 101 infographic
- Casey report on racial equity work in North Carolina–Mecklenburg County: Remaking a Child Welfare System (October 17, 2021)
- Race Equity and Inclusion Action Guide (Jan 2015) 7 Steps to Advance and Embed Race Equity and Inclusion within your Organization
- Center for the Study of Social Policy- Race Equity Impact Assessment Tool
- The Catalyst Project: Anti-racism for Collective Liberation
- Policy Link: Lifting up what works in advancing racial and economic justice